ROLLED BAKLAVA (MY MOM'S RECIPE)

My mom has been preparing this baklava for ages and I always thought that her baklava is the best. When I was a kid, I would've stick my fork right in the middle and eat my piece by unrolling baklava until I've reached the very center :) I've later tried other types of this great dessert, but this one still takes a special place in my heart.


Ingredients:
  • 500 g of phyllo dough for pie (around 20 layers)
  • oil for sprinkling layers
For filling:
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 tbs of sugar
  • 200 g of ground walnuts
  • half a teaspoon of cinnamon
  • half a teaspoon of cocoa
For the syrup:

750 g of sugar boil down to a thick syrup with 650 g of water, add 1 lemon cut into rings or slices and 1 pack of vanilla sugar (10 g).

Preparation:
  1. Divide layers into 5 equal parts, to later obtain 5 equal rolls (4 layers for one roll). If less layers in the package, reduce number of layers for 1 roll.
  2. Beat eggs and sugar, add nuts and spices. Divide filling into 5 parts. 
  3. Each layer sprinkle with a little oil and apply filling on the 4th layer and roll. Repeat the procedure 5 times. 
  4. Align rolls in a baking pan sprinkled with oil. Cut all 5 rolls to equal pieces. Sprinkle some oil on top.
  5. Bake baklava at 200 C degrees to get golden yellow color. Chill and pour over hot syrup. Leave to soak well then serve.
Enjoy!