Zelnik is a favorite sweet or salty delight, often prepared by our mothers and grandmothers. The smell of pie always reminds us of home, warmth, childhood and family. Depending on season and available fruits or vegetables on the market, you can prepare a tasty filling for your pie. This time I decided to prepare a pumpkin pie.
- 500 g flour (and a bit more for sprinkling)
- 1/3 cube of yeast1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons oil
- 250 ml lukewarm water
- 50 g margarine for sprinkling
- 50 g oil for sprinkling
- 1/2 cube margarine for coating crusts
- 1 kg cooked, cleaned, drained and mashed pumpkin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar
- a little milk
- Knead dough from 500 g flour, yeast (previously activated), salt, sugar, one egg, 2-3 tablespoons of oil and 250 ml of lukewarm water. Knead well until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 16 balls and roll out a small crust from each ball. Coat each crust with margarine and place one over other. The last 8th crust shouldn't be coated with margarine. Repeat the same with the other 8th balls. Let them stay in the fridge and in a meantime prepare the filling.
- Boil, clean, drain and mash the pumpkin. Add 2-3 tbs of sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 2 eggs and a little milk. Mix well.
- Then, roll out 1 crust from the first 8 layers and place it in an oil coated baking pan. Add the filling.
- Roll out a large crust from the other 8 crusts, place over the filling, make wrinkles all over the crust and make turns at the ends. Sprinkle with melted margarine and oil.
- Bake at 180 C degrees until lightly browned.
The same dough can be made with different filling: minced meet, leeks, spinach, cheese ...
- Enjoy the beautiful pie.